Backup / Restore Windows System alternative to ShadowProtect IT Edition USB dongle.
You may download latest version of ISO file from following link (product key required for download)
Steps to restore a VM from ShadowProtect backup:
(Note: please burn this image file to CD/DVD/USB for desktops or physical server cloning and restoration)
- Create a new blank Virtual Machine (VM) with similar specification as source VM (to be restored VM) with slightly higher hard disk size. Restoration will not work if destination hard disk size is smaller the source machine). Skip step 1. If you are familiar with VM creation steps.
Mound .iso image for booting VM from ISO file (boot sequence: boot from CD/DVD). Ensure Connect at power on is selected from Device Status
Select (tick) on Connect at power on for the Network adapter (network connection is required when backup server in the network)
- Select Force BIOS Setup to boot VM in BIOS mode
- Bring CD-ROM Drive on top so that VM boots from Shadow protect ISO image as attached on step 2.
- Press F10 keyboard function button and [Yes] to save and exit BIOS Uutility.
Now run the newly created VM.
- VM will be running from Linux like OS as booted using Cross Platform ISO file
- Set your local time zone
#Select your time zone from “Time Zone Settings” to see your existing backup files with correct timestamp when lookup in step below. In above figure; VM gets IP from DHCP server. You need to setup IP manually if you are in server VLAN where no DHCP scopes are configured.
- Manual setting of IP address if DHCP is not present
#Setup manual IP if DHCP is not available to release IP eg. Server VLAN.
- Click on “Disk Map” from left menu
- Mouse right click on Hard Disk free space and click on Disk Utility
- When Disk Utility loads; click on “Create Partition” to create NTFS File type partition for Windows system.
*Note: confusing! Format Drive above doesn’t format disk to type; it is just remove partitions.. Create partition option creates partition as well as format with selected file type.
#Format partition to NTFS (for Windows)
- Click on Drives link from left window under Tools menu.
- Click on Network icon from right window and Map network path to your shadowprotect backup server folder. UNC path should be exactly match with shadowprotect backup folder (path name with space are not allowed). Note: next icon with hard disk is meant for local drive mapping eg. usb or fix hard disk to clone physical machines (laptop, physical server). Enter shadow protect backup user credentials to access above shadow protect backup server (backup destination server where SP backup *.spi files are located).
- Click on Restore Volume link from left
- Select desire backup file (.spi) that need to be restored from right window
- Select the Recovery Volume created on step 8 above as destination hard disk (new system)
# verify image before restore will take longer to restore..
- Wait for restoration tasks to end
#restoration progress status
#restoration task has been completed
Exit from the Shadowprotect Cross Platform application and reboot
Click on Shut Down button to stop the VM and make necessary changes on boot sequence.
Note: do not enable network interface where exiting VM is running.
Ensure CD-ROM is disconnected or change VM boot sequence to Hard Disk else VM will be booted from CD again
Continue with hard disk scan (CHKDSK); do not escape. This will fix some issue (checks for disk error, consistency etc). This will not repeat subsequence boot.
- Disconnect Network Interface unless live server is not running.
- Please do a required checks (drivers, disk partition, services) before connect network interface and bring up the server to live network.